Monday of Amazing Race
It’s our first full day of camp and it has been jam packed full of action!
Because it is teen week at CYC breakfast is later this week which means that we have some optional early morning activities for our early risers. Campers had the option of playing with the camp dogs going for a run stretching/abs zumba rosary or coffee/conversation.
After activities a large group of brave souls marched down to the beach and jumped into the freezing cold water in one of our favorite rituals- polar bear plunge!!
Breakfast was pancakes and bacon! Yum!
Our ‘C’ of the day was COOPERATION which was learned about by a hilarious skit at morning Holy Ground.
After morning prayer and raising the flag we headed off to cabin activities where groups went canoeing throwing and worked on cabin spirit activities.
At 11:30 cabins did their first amazing race challenge of the week! Cabins chose different people to do different sections of the challenge. Here’s how it went down-
- 2 campers must run to the boys cabin area to retrieve a bag filled with puzzle pieces and bring it back to the tables in front of the welcome center.
- 2 campers must put together a puzzle. Completed puzzle will reveal a 3 letter code which will unlock a box that contains a grappling hook.
- Using the grappling hook campers must toss out the hook to retrieve the bags filled with bean bags on the volleyball court. Once they collect all their bags they must untie the knots to open the bags to get bean bags to pass on to next camper.
- Campers must throw bean bags through all of their team’s tissue paper frames.
- Easter eggs will be spread on fields. 4 eggs have marbles. Each team must collect the marble for the next group to put through the maze
- Campers must get marble through foam board maze. Once completed entire team runs together to the fire circle to be the first to deposit their marble.
The boys team won the first challenge of the week and earned 100 points! It is going to be an exciting week!
After a fabulous lunch of BBQ chicken sandwiches and french fries and a much needed midday rest it was time to start individual activities. Campers went fishing played sports learned about drama went swimming and to cooked yummy snacks at campfire cooking. It was a full afternoon!
Dinner (lasagna) was followed by tie dying tee shirts and painting cabin flags.
At praise and worship for evening chapel we sung songs said the CYC prayer and heard one of the counselors give a talk about cooperation.
As if the day wasn’t jam packed enough after chapel it is time for our FAVORITE all camp game- Angels and Demons! Campers must run to each of the three angels hidden in the forest to get a small piece of paper signed and then bring it back to their team box. Whichever team gets the most paper wins! But there are not just angels there are demons too and if they tag you you have to give up your paper and start over! Campers need to be quick clever and a little bit lucky!
Except wait there’s still more… after Angels and Demons it was time for a late night ice cream social with root beer floats and hanging out. After a HOT day at camp it was the perfect way to cool down!
Whew! What an amazing first day!
Have you checked out the CYC photo site yet? Be sure to keep up with our adventures though pictures!